Thread: Tough love
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heatherw

Unhappy Tough love

This is my first post.Hope it is ok for me to join from the UK but I can't locate a forum in my home country.I told my alcohol dependent partner enough is enough last wednesday. Guess he thinks he's heard it all before - which he has about every 2 days for the past 3 years. He lives in my house and it's proving difficult to move him on. The more he thinks he can't get his own way the more he is tugging at my heart strings. I sometimes wonder if this is worse than putting up with all the shouting and drinking! He says he is going to live with his mum who is lovely but frail and elderly but 'needs to find the right time as she will be devastated'. Tonight he has joined the gym and has been baking for me also cooing over my dogs. The same dogs he shouts at when under the influence.I feel I no longer love him and have been nothing more than a mother figure to him.Thought I was cracking last night until he said 'If your only problem is me drinking I can easy sort that'. He sees it as my problem. I have given him contacts for support groups but despite saying he will contact them he hasn't. Feel at the end of my tether but wondered if the manipulative behaviour associated with an addiction is done consciously and calculated? I feel I have to be hard to ultimately get him to get help but I feel so guilty.