View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

Thank you for the example, Mike. It helps to picture it concretely like that. I'm grateful you were able to heal, and now can share your experience with people like your neighbor. And me!

I can remember seeing the "power of example" that you're all talking about when I was a kid. The idea that there was honesty and kindness out there in the world was a light at the end of the tunnel I kept getting sucked back into.

For me, it was books and music. I remember when I read things or heard lyrics that were insightful, I felt the possibilities sort of swell. People really could talk honestly about subtle feelings and interactions, and understand the feelings of others. And negative things like manipulation were described, which gave some clarity to my life. Yea for art!

Still, I can't help but wish someone sober and healthy would have swept me right out of there. And I wish that, emotionally, for my nephew. (Not literally! No kidnapping plans!) When I found out for sure that my nephew was in an alcoholic home, I felt just like someone had died - pure agonizing grief. For me as a child, I'm guessing.

I'll just keep feeling it, until I'm done feeling it.