View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Double standards vent

I guess it's kind of a vent, but... ugh. My family...

My sister is bipolar and downright b!tchy when she doesn't take her antidepressants... like, mean and physically violent. But it's ok, because she's bipolar, it's not her fault, poor sister.

My mom is a hoarder. But it's ok, it's a mental condition and it's not her fault, poor mom. She has a huge living room with plenty of furniture to sit on but only 2 places to actually sit because there's junk on every other surface. When I go to her house I sit on the floor in the living room, in the middle of one of the paths she has through the house.

My cousin is addicted to Rx painkillers, he has what must be a horribly painful condition. But he takes the pills recreationally. He takes extra painkillers and antidepressants when he drinks to get high off them. But it's all good because he's got his diagnosis, poor him.

But if I mention drinking alcohol, or crack a joke about it, it's the end of the world. Ohmygod, she's terrible, she might even be addicted. They don't even know about the meth and coke, and they really don't know much about the drinking either. Why am I the only one who's behavior is out of line? Why am I the only one who is expected to overcome whatever mental issues I might have and get on with life? Why are my sister, mom, and cousin victims of their own brain chemistry but I'm a terrible person? Why am I the black sheep here? I do love a double standard!

I don't have a problem with being held accountable for my actions, but it really bothers me that no one else is expected to be accountable. I don't really need their approval but consistent treatment would be nice.

OK, rant over.