View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

Pelican

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Hi Skipper!

I remember a reading in Courage to Change that described resentments as "premeditated expectations". I had to chew on that one for a while.

I believe it is true in my case. I can usually look back now over resentments and see that I had "expected certain things" to unfold as I thought best, and when they did not........I was consumed with resentment. Still am today.

The difference is now I am able to recognize the resentment building, and hopefully spend some time self examining to determine what the expectation was that triggered the resentment.

I hope you are able to find Alanon meetings in your area. I believe there are some online Alanon meetings too. One of our members has begun a Saturday night Alanon meeting in chat here at SR, look for Kassie2 or ask for more info.

Self-improvement books and counseling may be other options is you are not able to find another local meeting.
I think this is my feeling today. As an ACoA, I've found that it's ok to be angry, and it doesn't own me. I'll get over this.

Part of the process, for me, is expressing it, getting it out, and then moving on to more positive experiences.

My only expectation is for myself, and I haven't let me down yet!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely seek them out. My motto is: Smart people utilize their resources. And I will.