View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
evenkeel

We had a conversation yesterday where I told her about my issues in our relationship, mostly about the alcohol. I told her exactly how her drinking is a problem for me and covered one other HUGE issue that I've set some boundaries for but she continues to break them. I got very little reaction out of her during the conversation besides some excuses. Of course, what she got from it is that our issues are all her fault. I wanted to tell her that I believe they are but waited to see if she could illustrate how any of it is my fault. I'm not perfect, I wholly accept and admit that, but she didn't have any explanation for how any of my issues with her are my fault (meaning how my feelings about her behaviors are irrational) and didn't try to vocalize anything she had a problem with.

We did go to the wedding reception last night. She didn't drink and didn't seem to have any fun. We did leave at a decent time and came home to watch a movie together as a family. She made a big deal about not staying out, though. She asked me over and over if spending some family time together last night would be a "start" to fixing things. I told her it's only a start if she follows through with future active demonstration that she's working on fixing things. She didn't like that answer, told me that if she stayed home and then I told her this weekend that it wasn't going to work out she'd be mad that she stayed home. I called her on that, asking if she truly meant that, and she said she didn't mean it the way it came out but wasn't able to explain exactly what she DID mean.

I didn't give her any more ultimatums. I told her she has a chance of me not leaving if she starts showing me she was working on things this month. She wanted me to tell her that if she showed that she was trying to work on it (namely by staying home last night) that I wouldn't leave at all and I refused to do so. I think how she reacts to that statement in the next few weeks will be telling. I will be looking for a place to go this month and getting things in order financially to be able to do so. I don't know that I can realistically be able to move in a month but I'll sure try. And I'll be going to Al-Anon regardless.

I'm not optimistic about things, though. I'm glad I didn't get a whole bunch more pleading and excuses like I was expecting to get but this total silence in return was quite unexpected. No apologies either, heartfelt or not. She has absolutely no visible remorse for lying to me last weekend about not going to work or on another big issue that I brought up that happened recently, so I don't know if she still feels justified or is trying to save face by stonewalling. I don't entirely believe her about where she was Saturday, either, but I'll let it go because I don't have any evidence to the contrary, only gut feelings. Now I wait with one foot out the door.