View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JenT1968

there is never a time that iss good for everyone else to file for a divorce: just before christmas, when his family have a new arrival, an hour after his brother finds out he's got a great new new job, the same month as his mom's birthday, a week after valentine's day, 1 month after your anniversary, when he is worrying that he might have cancer, when he is elated because he does not have cancer, when he is devastated and goes on a massive binge because he does have cancer.

The only person you can base the timing of this decision on is you.... you cannot predict what is going on in his life and that of every family member and friend that will make this a "good time" to do it. Some people will dislike you because you made the decision, no matter what the timing, others won't give a hoot either way, some will feel glad you got the guts to go ahead with it. You can't control any of that.

When I realised that I had absolutely, definately had enough, that I wasn't going to give him any more chances and that I was done, I tried to think of the right time, it was the third week in November, 1 month after our wedding anniversary, 3 weeks after he had had surgery, so I thought, I can't do it now, but if I wait 1 week, we're nearly at christmas, we'll have all this tension and upset at christmas, 1 week after christmas is my birthday, two weeks after that is his birthday and his mother's, I went on and on with this going through the calendar trying to find the best time (barring unpredictable illnesses, deaths in the family, new jobs, happy events that I didn't want to ruin) and eventually after it stretching into the future and no perfect time in sight, I decided that the best time for me was right now.

Because then I wouldn't be uncomfortable knowing that I was going to announce that it was definately over, I wouldn't be pretending that things were ok when they weren't, fielding questions from family members, receiving presents at christmas etc (we had been living seperately for 9 months at this point, our agreement was that he would sober up during this time so that we could work on our marriage - he never did).

I have no doubt that my name was mud in certain quarters for a long time, it probably still is to some, but that has had no real impact on my life to be honest.

Only you can make the decision and it has to be made on your needs rather than based on what others may think of you.