View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
azkatz

Am I doing the right thing?

I just signed up for this forum because I'm going through so much not knowing if I'm doing the right thing.

I've been with my fiance for over 2 years now. We started living together pretty much since we met each other. Just this weekend I told him I couldn't live with him anymore and he had to move out. I warned him several times when he was sober that I could reach this point and he told me he knew his behavior towards me wasn't right but he still acted out when he drank and took his anger out on me.

I was able to handle his tantrums when it was just the two of us but we both love to camp and socialize with friends that we did allot of things together over the weekends and drinking would be involved. Most times he could handle it but every now and again he would belittle and degrade me in front of our friends. Some of my friends see why I asked him to leave and others (the one's who have similar drinking problems) think I should have loved him enough to forgive him.

When he is not drinking he is the man I am so in love with. I still can't see myself being with anyone but him. I just can't live with the drinking when he isn't able to contain his anger.

He moved into a house that is quite far from where I live and took a year lease. I still want to see him occationally and I've been praying that he will have the strength to fight his problem and realize he wants to be with me more than the drinking.

Am I being unrealistic? Can I continue to see him and hope that he kicks his habit on his own or am I supposed to give him his space to figure things out all on his own?

Hopefully someone on here has some good advice for me. I feel completely lost without him.