View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jd585

Thank you one and all! Time for a follow up.

I have heeded some of the advice given and read quite a bit on the forums. There was quite a bit to take in and think about.

One person had a rather interesting view of alcoholism, they felt there was very little net difference between what it does and what narcotics does to the brain. I read their comments and I had never considered that argument before. I had not really considered it at all I suppose.

Several pointed out that it is impossible to stop someone unless they have a deep enough desire to stop and it looks like most have to truly hit bottom for that to happen.

As another suggested that she was/is extremely lonely and was not getting her needs met. That is very possible as my profession requires me to be up NLT 5AM and gone until about 6PM most times. On rare occasions I do not get home until 7 or later, depends on work flow and traffic. That does not allow a lot of time to clean up, eat, be affectionate and listen to her troubles before I have to retire. When I get home real late my hobby takes a back seat.

I could relate to this first point of view, a close friend in combat with me got hooked on "french sleeping pills" and he was no different than someone being falling down drunk. I have always had a strong sense of self control and never got involved with anything that would control me.

I've been giving this situation a lot of thought, the second point is like a cold bucket of water in the face.. Over the last few years, I have started becoming more angry about the lies, the excessive spending, the arguments, the failure to act as a husband & wife team in our efforts to prepare for retirement. But mostly I have become ( hurt, angry, disappointed, confused.... not sure which it is) about her failure to allow our wedding vows to mean as much to her as it does to me. Rhetorically, "Do I really want to wait until she hits bottom? Who knows when or if that will happen."

The third point of view is probably correct as to the cause and I have to take full responsibility for her being lonely, etc...but I am not responsible for her drinking or its start, that is all of her own doing. She could have chosen other ways of dealing with it.

I do not have a lot of years left to repair the damage to my financial well being. I can deal with the stress, the lies, the arguments, but what I can not deal with is anymore financial hits. She now has a second checking account at the same bank, I did not press the issue of why. I do not know if she goes out for "lottery tickets" or liquor or other reasons in the evening ...haven't decided if I am going to follow her yet. However IF she wanted to stop, she would have done so already. She obviously does not want to stop and it is getting stronger every day.

Rhetorically, "How much time, effort, caring and love do you expend before saying enough is enough/" This needs a lot more research and thought, before a course of action is implemented.

I am not looking for sympathy. Just looking for an understanding of it so that I can make an informed decision that is best for everyone.