View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
HealingWillCome

DGC, thanks for having the courage to come here with your dilemma, and congratulations on the beginning of a new lifestyle. I wish you the very best in your recovery.

For me, lying was the dealbreaker with XABF. He hid the magnitude of his drinking for the first year we were together. After a 6 week breakup, he confessed the alcoholism and a drug addiction and was attempting recovery. I had a lot of respect for the courage it took him to come clean with me. It was freeing for him and I both. I eventually got back into the relationship, but he after a couple of months he was actively using...and actively lying again...and not willing to admit the magnitude of how out of control things had become. It was the lying that I just couldn't deal with. My trust was completely disinegrated.

By hiding the truth from your new wife, you're sending the message that she isn't capable of handling the truth. She's a full-grown woman. Please give her the dignity she deserves in knowing the truth about this important part of who you are. If she loves you, sure, she may very well have some pain and disappointment over it, but she will probably be able to handle it. And forgive you. And love you all the same.

Marriages need a foundation of rock-solid trust in order to survive and to grow. Would you rather she find out from you, with love, or somewhere down the road, from someone else? The truth will eventually reveal itself. I wish you both the best.