View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
freebuthurting

Originally Posted by phineas View Post
Ditto.
It's funny, on the first date with my XAF I told her that honesty is for me, the most important thing in a relationship, that I've been lied to before, and I won't stand for it again.
I ended up getting engaged to a pathological liar.
When I caught her big lies, I was already madly in love with her, so I stayed.
When I finally left, she said I abandoned her and that love should be unconditional. I asked her: "unconditional? how can I be in a relationship if there's no trust? I can I keep loving you when you keep lying to me?". Then she said I'm bashing her.
Anyway, I don't see a real relationship without complete honesty. I really don't know how you can be MARRIED to someone and keep such a huge secret from her.
Ditto all of that too....I should have realised when I found out he lied about his age, and then lied about his age again...but by the time I found out he lied about his age I was already emotionally hooked. I still remember the sick and helpless feeling in my stomach though as he played it off as a joke (both times) after all our conversations about 100% honesty. I guess what he meant was I was to be 100% honest with him but he could tell whatever version of the truth he felt was right at any given time. I actually think it is entirely possible that he believes his own lies. Unconditional love seems to be expected to be given but its certainly not what is received. My AH seems to have a nice long check list of every mistake I have ever made - especially the ones I have apologised for countless times. Its about the only thing he can consistently remember!