Thread: detatchement
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
freebuthurting

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
My XMIL called about a year ago with the definitive reason why axw still sounded drunk from time to time, when she had been (claiming to be) sober for several years.

They had just taken her to the doctor after a "seemingly" drunken episode, and lo and behold, she was hypoglycemic! Well there you go!

XMIL sounded SO RELIEVED to finally have an answer. Bless her heart, especially to have an answer that reinforces her own denial. My daughter HAS been sober all these times she sounded wasted, she's just hypoglycemic. Pu-lease.

Now there's no doubt in my mind that years of drinking damages the entire body and ALL it's systems (brain and reasoning ability included), and I don't doubt that MANY alcoholics are diagnosed with hypoglycemia as a result of years of abuse.

But I do doubt that axw has been sober for the last 3 years and that hypoglycemia is responsible for her recent "near death" experience. Hello.

It's taken me years to KNOW bulls**t from fact, after all, they are master bulls**ters. I know axw is drinking herself to death as we speak, and it's not quite 8am here. One other thing I know, the fear of death is not enough to stop an alcoholic from drinking.

I think you are doing great.

My progress from my illness of codependency has not been exactly linear. It has zig zaged with stops and starts and relapses/set backs. Mostly when I have allowed too much contact, or if axw hits me between the eyes and catches me off guard with some nonsense.

Keep reading and posting and learning.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Thank-you SO much for this Coyote. My instinct is exactly what you have said. He had 3 years to get himself medically checked out while he was here with me and the perfect opportunity to find out if it was something serious when I called the ambulence that day. He was the one who refused to go and when I set the ultimatum that going was the only thing that might save our marriage - he still did not go. He actually managed to make me calling an ambulence into a malicious act of "case building"!!! go-figure.

He had actually been to the Drs that very morning and told the Dr he had food poisoning. It was on his return from the Drs that he came home unable to stand up and slurring his words! He had left the surgery at least 45 minutes before he came home - I know this as point of fact because I went to the surgery (which is a one minute walk from the house) and they told me had already left some time before. I called him twice in that time -the second time I called he was slurring his words and apologising saying he would be back. When he came back he couldn't walk properly.
If indeed there was any hypoglycemia I have no doubt at all that it was caused by years of alcohol abuse and the subsequent malnutrician. Encouraging him to eat properly was something I was doing all the time -- as if it should even have to be!
My conclusion - if he has hypoglycemia then it was caused by years of alcohol abuse in the first place. Also - if an adult gets hypoglycemia then they have only themself to blame for not eating properly and looking after themself with due care and attention. Either way -its certainly none of my fault and all of his responsibility. Its a nice little way for him to reinforce his own denial that alcohol is a problem though.
My progress with recovery from codependency is in its infancy - I am nurturing it and excited about it. This place is going to be a great help - already is being.