Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Sorry that your loved ones alcoholism is what brings you here, but glad you found us. You will find support and information for yourself here. Please feel free to read and post as much as needed.

Can I ask why you want him to be seen by a doctor?

To treat his depression? Alcohol is a depressant. Pills won't work when he is still drinking.
To treat his high blood pressure? Prolonged alcohol consumption increases stress on the organs.
To treat his rages? Anxiety meds come with a warning label not to mix with alcohol.
His rages happen, now, about every three months. Alcoholism is progressive and gets worse if untreated. His outbursts will likely increase in frequency and possibly volume.

I speak from experience. Hi, I'm Pelican and my recovery is multi-dimensional! I am a recovering alcoholic, a recovering exspouse of an alcoholic, and a recovering codependent. I have also been diagnosed with depression in the past.

Here is a link to one of our sticky(permanent) posts located at the top of the forum. It contains steps some of us have taken in dealing with an addicted loved one:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html