Thread: hard one for me
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How hard that time must have been for you, I'm glad you could work through it and grow.

I had been mad at God a long time too, Maggie, but by the time I reached Step 2 I knew that I needed to connect again and perhaps embrace a kinder, gentler God of my understanding.

All step 2 asked of me is that I come to "believe" that a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity. I could see that something had worked for others, somehow they had found peace and serenity, so I decided to believe that I could find it too.

I had to ponder this step for some time, and really "believe" it, before I was ready to move on.

I started attending church. For me, it was several churches because I needed to get past church doctrine and just feel the presence of God when I sat there.

One day while sitting in a Catholic church (I am protestant), alone with my thoughts and the quiet atmosphere of peace, it was as if I could "feel" the presence of God all around me.

I said a prayer and asked God to be patient with me, that I was trying hard to connect. And that very moment, as I said the prayer, I "knew" that my prayer was heard. Can't explain it, but it very well may have been my first "spiritual awakening" and I felt in my heart that I was now ready to believe with all my heart.