View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I've never taken them, myself (other than Wellbutrin when I tried to quit smoking), but we went through all KINDS of meds with my older son. I've read a lot of experiences with antidepressants.

The most important thing to know, IMO, is that getting the right medication is almost a complete crapshoot. The same med that is a literal lifesaver for one person might cause another person to have seizures or to become suicidal. The last doctor my son went to used neurobiofeedback that was supposed to suggest what medication might be effective based upon EEG monitoring that showed where various brain activity was or was not occuring, which in turn suggested which medications might be effective. I can't vouch for whether it's any more effective than the "dartboard" approach most doctors seem to use--where they try one, see if it works, if not, try another in a different "family".

It's worth discussing with a QUALIFIED doctor--I wouldn't trust a GP to be prescribing them for ME. I'd want an experienced doctor who will very carefully monitor your initial reactions to the medication, alert for any symptoms of problems resulting from the medication itself.