View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CoffeeLover

AH lost his license again

I need an ear to listen…

So to make a long story as short as possible…my AH maintained sobriety for almost 9 years. Unfortunately prior to that time he did get 2 DUI’s and lost his license for 5 years. He never did get his license back at the 5 yr mark due to financial situations b/c of insurance costs and b/c he was required to get an ignition interlock device. Finally we got his license restored last October and got the ignition interlock device installed. Things were finally back on the right path till this January. AH returned to drinking in January of this year. He had a very bad spell one weekend when I was out of town and apparently tried to start his car, which of course wouldn’t start due to his machine. He doesn’t even remember why he tried to start his car b/c he was at home and had access to another car to drive if he really wanted to. Needless to say he got a letter from the DMV that he will lose his license at the end of the month. He just told me about this today and told me that he wrote a letter back requesting a hearing. Since that one weekend in August he has gotten sober and is back to AA meetings everyday. However, he does realize that he now must pay the consequences for his actions.

I’m struggling on how to deal with this. My AH is a stay at home dad and has responsibilities for driving our two kids to preschool and school. He is on the right path currently but I still don’t trust him. If he loses his license his ignition interlock device will be de-installed and that just personally makes me even more scared that he could possibly relapse and get behind the wheel. Also, he won’t be able to drive to his AA classes. I’m so tired of his actions affecting our lives and struggling how to handle this latest obstacle.