View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
you can go where you want, with whom you want, when you want...complete freedom...grateful to not still be recovering today and not just hanging onto sobriety:-)
Hey man, just an observation to this terminology. Is this strictly true? I know that for this alkie and druggy then alcohol and drugs play no part in my life anymore and I am far from hanging on... However, I still think from my own experience that I will always have to value my sobriety as a precious gift i.e- I couldn't be hanging around with heavy drinkers or around drugs. Maybe it's different for drugs, but despite alll the recovered status in the world, then I wouldn't want a line of coke under my nose. Not that I would want to do it, but I have to remember that I will always be an addict and an alkie. Of course I wouldn't want to be hanging with them characters anyway but I think the impression can be that you can literally go anywhere and hang out with anybody, for this alkie and addict then that simply will never be the case, as hanging around heavy drinking and drugging as an alcoholic myself would not be something I'm sure I'd feel comfortable with. I will always be one drink away from the next drunk the same as anybody else.

For me then sobriety is my clean time from drink and recovery is the daily work of healing and growing as a person. I'm happy to always be a recovering alcoholic, there will always be room for improvment, and that to me is what is so great about recovery. I will always be an alcoholic and I must never forget that fact. Like anything in my recovery though I am open minded and this maybe liable to change, I'm sure it will reveal itself in good time, if at all...

Peace