View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wicked

He's military, and almost lost his job and pension when he blacked out on the job and used a government credit card to fill his gas tank. Thankfully his commander offered to give him a second chance if he would go to inpatient treatment at the VA hospital. My husband was deeply humiliated by the experience and by the threat of losing his military career, and finally became serious about seeking recovery. What followed was the 9 happiest months of my marriage, when I was finally able to see the man I was so in love with reemerge from the despair of active alcoholism.
HurtingAgain,

Your husband will lose his pension and career if he does not return to recovery.
I was active duty and sent to treatment. There were specific things I was ordered to do and not do after treatment. One of the not do's obviously was drink again.

If I drank again, I would be dishonorably discharged from the Army.

If he thinks treatment was humiliating, how would a dishonorable discharge feel?
He is throwing away 12 years of duty, his future, you and your kids future.

I know there is not much you can do with an alcoholic determined to self destruct, as my ex husband was demoted and told not to re enlist after an alcoholic related incident.
But there is something you can do for yourself.
Go to the chaplain and explain your situation. Someone might be able to convince him to get back on track without another incident going on his record.

The Army is willing to help those who want help, but do not want to waste resources on those who don't. I went to an inpatient rehab in Landstuhl Germany, six weeks long. The best thing that ever happened to me.

Get help for yourself. Is there an AlAnon on post? Got to the meetings and find out what others have done in your position. You will get the best experience, strength and hope from those who have been there.

Beth

:ghug3