View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Murray4x5
Proud Neonephalist

There are some people on SR who quit once and have stayed quit for decades; I can't recall one of them attributing their sobriety to a higher power.

I would look on your success so far as an indication of your strength of character and strength of conviction. I've had a few squirrelly moments, but none so bad as to put booze to lips. Your and my challenge is to not fall into the trap so many others fall into; where they think that quitting wasn't so hard, so what's the harm in getting drunk once in a while.

The limbic system has a long memory. My favourite example is that even the least intelligent kid in class will remember which house gave out the biggest chocolate bars at Halloween last year. One drink would set off a fireworks display in my brain, and as has been proven millions of times before me, I'll pick up pretty much from where I left off. The progressive nature of alcohol's damaging effects to my brain would ensure I keep increasing the frequency and volume consumed, and I'd die an early, ugly death if I wasn't able to quit for good.

A couple months before I managed to quit cigarettes, about 15 years ago, a co-worker said to me, "All you have to do is decide". That comment buzzed around in my brain for months. It irked me to the bone. It annoyed the heck out of me, because in my heart of hearts I knew he was right. Ultimately it comes down to deciding to quit, and to never, ever use again.

Nobody is powerless to alcohol or any other drug. If they use again, it's because they didn't want sobriety bad enough, simple as that, full stop. (Can you see why I didn't join the earlier thread you were talking about?)

Pretty simple stuff, huh?

Murray