View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Murray4x5
Proud Neonephalist

Oh, I think you and I are alcoholics. We may have managed to hop off the bus before it dropped over the cliff, but we would have progressed into being "serious" alcoholics in the end.

I haven't read the other thread yet, but I don't believe in powerlessness.

I used to go for a walk in the evenings and had to make sure my wallet was in my pocket before I left. Then as I walked along, I'd go by the beer and wine store, and just for the heck of it, buy some booze. Then I'd carry it home, open it, pour it into a glass, then raise it to my lips and drink it.

That makes six steps where I could have halted the process if I had wanted to. Six times in that scenario where I had the opportunity to say no. Back in those days it was me who wanted to drink, it was me who chose to drink, it was me who opened the bottle, it was me who raised the glass to my lips, and it was me who drank until I got wasted.

I was responsible for my actions, and I'm fully responsible for not ever doing it again. No greater force than I made me drink, and no supernatural being exists to make me stop...it is 100% in my own hands to save my own life.

Murray