View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Jaguar55 View Post
From an emotional perspective he may as well be an alien being at this point. It's nearly impossible for me to understand how a person's feelings can be "turned off'. I feel like I'm in an "invasion of the body snatchers" movie.
Yes! He is an alien being at this point. His physical body, mind and soul have become addicted to alcohol. It is his god and he worships at it's throne daily. It is his lover, mistress, comforter. It is his priority. His actions, verbal assaults, motives are all about protecting the alien that has taken over his body, mind and soul.

That is me trying to reason with you about how alcoholism has taken over his life. It doesn't offer much comfort for the feelings of being emotionally stuck, right?

This is a quote from Melody Beattie in "Codependent No More", from the chapter on "undependence":
"Even with all this, you will then say, 'But I love him/her!'
When I respond, 'Tell me, what is so loveable?'
there is no response. The answer doesn't come,
but the power of being emotionally stuck is far greater than the power of reason."

The verbal assaults of breaking up over and over, the blame-shifting, the lack of respect have taken an emotional toll.

Please take care of yourself and love yourself as you recover from this relationship. Keep reaching out for help: here, Alanon, counseling, etc.

We care about you. You are important!