Thread: I did it!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Donna,

I'm so happy you had a good first meeting experience. Please note that if you had sneaked in right at the beginning and slunk out the second it was over without speaking or raising your hand, you wouldn't have connected so well. (This is mainly for others thinking about their first meeting). Maybe when that other Big Book you already ordered arrives, YOU can give that to another newcomer someday, and do the same as the fella at the meeting did for you.

Anyone wondering what goes on at an AA meeting (or thinking about it but scared to go) should check out this helpful page, which is "stickied" at the top of the 12-Step forum: Your First AA Meeting. It explains some of the common practices and questions a lot of people have if they've never been exposed to AA.

Remember, meetings are important, and great, but the REAL recovery work in AA is working the 12 Steps. I got a very late start on the Steps, but I missed out on a lot by procrastinating.

I also second everyone's recommendation to find a female sponsor. I've made many good male friends in AA, but when you are very new, it's best to save the really personal stuff for people of the same sex. It just eliminates one kind of potential complication that can derail recovery.

Do try to attend lots of different meetings. You will want to pick one group as your "home group" (which you can change any time you want), but each meeting is a little different and will have a different "feel".

So glad you are off to a great start--you have given yourself a great gift!