Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Y'know Geordie - these are things within your control. It may feel awkward, and as codies we are so overly concerned with other people's feelings that we continue to suffer pain and problems to avoid standing up for OUR feelings and our suffering!

If it is tough for you to hear from her leading up to the weekend than maybe go no contact from Thurs - Sun.

I had to practice saying what I mean and meaning what I say - but not saying it mean (see those slogans stick with me!!) in order to truly be taking care of ME!

Like it's Ok to say to someone - "I get anxious for some reason when I hear about your plans for the weekend. I'd prefer if we talked about something else or maybe refrained from talking until after the weekends."

I mean - that's just how you feel, and it is legitimate and honest. True friendships can handle honesty. True friendships do not involve one half suffering in silence or afraid to speak.

I found that I made all kinds of excuses to myself (not unlike an addict!) in order to avoid changing myself. My codie habits of mind were very strong and it took real practice to change them, as well as working the steps in AlAnon, learning to let go, and keep an open mind.

It sounds like you are doing great-- it's always a little bit two steps forward one step back - these are hard habits of mind to break, and their reason for existing runs deep....keep at it Geordie!

Peace-
B