View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
fiveyearzen

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Is your life, the way you are living with it, unmanageable? How long do you want to live with it the way that it is? Is this relationship enough for you if it never changes and if she never stops drinking? Have you gone to any Al-Anon meetings? Have you practiced Detachment or set Boundaries with the alcoholic? There are many tools available to you through Al-Anon that will help you in this situation. I recommend giving a few meetings a try.
I too, am a recovering alcoholic, which is why her drinking bothers me, just as being in relationships with drinkers bothers you. But she is my wife and the mother of my two boys. Leaving is an absolute last resort, and I'm not even so sure it's an option then. I do tend to agree that she is probably an alcoholic, although I wouldn't have when we got married. Behavior like what you mentioned changed my mind. That was a lot of questions that I'll answer in short order: nothing is unmanageable (for God); Is the relationship enough for me? If you are asking how I FEEL about it, then no, because I am hurt, angry, etc. But a marriage is a committment, and love is a choice, not a feeling. My choice now is to honor my committment. My feelings will change; I have set boundaries, and enforcing them seems to have had a positive effect; I went to AA early in my recovery, but I stopped going because the only thing people there talked about was drinking, and that just made me want to drink. Instead, God blessed me with a sober family who were committed to my recovery and provided that support for me, and he sent me some new, non-drinking friends.