Thread: two futures
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bernadette

((((((Akrasia))))))

So much sadness around alcoholism....

How strange that he asked you about AlAnon in the same conversation about him returning to drinking! That whole exchange you described with him casually dropping a bomb, you speechless, him leaving w/o a goodbye etc., it's just classic alcoholic insanity!

His thinking is evidence that he did not choose recovery during these sober months. Remember sobriety does not equal recovery and when an A is in recovery it is so obvious, they are so different, that I am not surprised you have been making a mental note of apts. on the way to work because our gut always knows the real deal whether we deny it or not....

That's why it is so important for us to work hard on our own recovery, so that we are staying firmly in reality and living our best life whether the A chooses to drink or not. I needed a lot of help to figure out how to do that. AlAnon was a start but therapy also made a huge difference.

The older I get the more I understand that life is a series of holding on tight to things or people and then having to let them go -- some too soon and too painfully, but all at some point....my problem has always been knowing when to let go! I am often paralyzed by fear or pain or denial.

Peace-
B