Thread: New to it all
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Patch10:
You have reason to be concerned. And having your heart pounding and the sweats is certainly unpleasant. Do you suppose that when your heart is pounding like that your blood pressure is higher than it should be? Better get medical advice on this stuff. I know that when i went through withdrawal my blood pressure was an important issue and was elevated. They would take my pressure readings every half hour.
You say you have real problems thinking about quitting permanently and not being able to drink socially. I felt the same way but now that I've quit for nearly 22 years I feel completely comfortable with never having alcohol. Doesn't bother me one bit.
As for being able to quit alone., that is without a support group like AA, I tried to do that for 40 years and failed time and time again. And I found I could never drink in "moderation". I had a few misgivings and reservations about AA but was able to deal with them and work it through.
Good luck. I would think that the first order of business if I were you would be to go to a doctor and be completely honest.

W.