Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TakingCharge999
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi Alejandra.

I am 28 and lived a similar story. That ended 2 years ago approx, when I realized he was going to drink whatever, whenever, regardless of what impact his drinking had in "our relationship".

It was a very hard time for me. No contact is the first step and it was very difficult for me, it was accepting it was going to be over for good. I also asked him not to contact me again. I blocked him from my email.

I also stopped drinking/socializing and was depressed for months. I thought: if only I was thin enough, prettier, more fun or interesting..

With the help of SR and a therapist (and some AA meetings) I have realized these people are sick before we met them, have been sick all this time, and will continue to abuse a substance regardless of who is around. And no, love is nowhere around those broken promises. I recall XABF cried and cried for a whole day saying the usual phrase

I PROMISE THAT THIS WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!! EVER!!

Then the next night it happened, and during the weekend, and on Monday, and over and over and over again, everytime the same horrible hurt, every time the empty promises. It is a cycle of abuse.

Go no contact. If he calls you can hang up, turn off the mobile phone. Block him in Facebook, email, delete his pictures.... all this was a long process for me, but now I feel much better, and if I could do it you can do it. After some time you will get a much clearer picture about who he was, and who you are. And when you do this separation and focus on who you are, many gifts will be sent your way, you will heal and become stronger, wiser. Happier.