View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

I can think of two members of SR that might be able to share. Let's wait and see who shows up.

Some members come to F&F and ask for the success stories in marriages and relationships. They don't want to hear about the marriages that ended in divorce or seperation. When they pose the question looking for survivors, they are sometimes disappointed by the lack of responses.

That doesn't mean there aren't successes. Most people who reach out and post in these forums are struggling. Struggling with coping with a loved ones addiction or coping with their own addiction. After they find recovery, some leave and we don't hear from them again. They work their recovery in their own face-to-face world. Some members linger. They continue to reach back to the help the ones just arriving at the recovery journey. Giving back what was given when they arrived struggling.

This topic usually also brings up the definition of success. What is the definition of success in this case?

In the question of relationship success: Is it only a successful outcome if the marriage stays intact?
In my family, the marriage did not stay intact. However, I think our relationship is a success story. I discovered who I am. I am learning to stand up for myself. I am learning to love myself. I am learning to live a full and happy life.
My ex is sober. He is learning to take care of himself, by himself. He is learning to be responsible for his own life. He is facing his own consequences.
Does that mean we are not successes, because the marriage ended?