Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
chicory

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
zbear
I have been attending nar-anon (and al-anon but not as much). But have not really worked the steps like I should. This is why I'm dedicating myself to one step per month here on SR and in my reading and through Nar-anon. They say "it works if you work it" so I'm workin' it.

I think it's particularly helpful to hear from recovering A's. Perhaps they can give me perspectives from the other side of the fence........all I have is the perspective from my own side. And perhaps that's the only perspective that really counts....I don't know.

When my son is around, it feels as though he is TRYING to create chaos--that is his mission when he's around me. There is no comfortable coexistence there......I am always on guard. I am always deflecting questions for money or food or he's telling me about what his current DOC or the last drug was that he used. He says that he's so glad he can tell me all about his "drug community" (because I'm sitting there calmly not reacting to the crap he is spewing out of his mouth) but INSIDE it's turning me inside out and churning me up. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HIS DRUG COMMUNITY! He verbally rails at me for the slightest thing I say that he takes offense to and turns it into an all out attack on my life, belief systems, family, husband, daughter, work, lifestyle, whatever. He whines about his life and what a total mess it is but he doesn't want suggestions on how to make it better--he just wants to purge his mind of all that crap that's wreaking havoc in his life. He doesn't want to do the WORK that it takes to make his life better....he just wants ME to do it for him. And because I won't and don't....it's a full out verbal assault to try to get me to acquiesce. If begging, pleading, and guilting don't work.....he PULLS OUT verbal FORCE. I don't experience any comfort or enjoymentbeing around him.....at all. And believe me.....I've tried.....but it's not a relationship when you're AFRAID to open your mouth EVEN TO AGREE WITH HIM for fear that it will result in another verbal assault. I'm just trying to preserve some part of ME that he won't suck away. He's like a parasite that is draining me of ......well......ME. There is no give and take........that is how I feel when he's around. And that feeling goes away when he goes away.

Whew......that was cathartic. I haven't expressed these feelings to anyone. Not even my husband.....not in my nar-anon group..... I feel guilt on one hand for writing those things but I feel like I am finally facing the truth on the other. I feel like I just vomited feelings that have been building up for 12 years.

Now.....if that's not "unmanageable" I don't know what is.

gentle hugs

(((((gentleyes)))))

Thanks , for expressing pretty much what I feel about my son. Today I called him a predator- not exactly the right word-think i was going for parasite- but he got my meaning, I think.
It really hurts to feel that way, but it is not what you did that makes you feel it, it is his choices. Y9ou are just having a normal reaction to his behavior. I commend you , for being able to listen to him, and to some things you dont wish to hear. You are brave.
They are apparently having adult temper tantrums, when they do that to us. It worked in the past, for my son, but now, he is just louder, more desperate, and more ugly in his choice of words. and the years have given him insight on the right buttons to push, to bring me to my knees.

I dont know what to do about it, except to focus on me. and not listen to any nasty words from my son. if he wants to go no contact, within the home, due to his being unfair, i guess that is what it will be.
words have never done much good with my son. guess i will save them, and stop groping for the "right thing to day" that mmight reach him. He does not wish to be reached. life is too comfy right now, and until he finds out how much he is messing up his life with his choices, he wont be reached.

honey, you have my thoughts today. i am right there with you. maybe focus on the serenity prayer- that has been helping me a lot. and limit the chances for you son to berate you. my son looked rather surprised at my courage today. i felt more in charge. A day at a time.

big hugs
chicory