View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Linkmeister

Welcome to SR, notforgotten - it's a wonderful place full of love, comfort, encouragement and hope.

Like you, I have recently ended my relationship with my ABF and it's not easy to come to terms with it. It's not easy to stay detached from him, both physically and emotionally, but I have to for my sake, my serenity, my well-being.

I still love him but know, after repeated attempts of having my hopes dashed every time he binged then promised to address his addiction, that it's his path to walk and no one, no matter who they are, no matter how much they love someone can lead them to walk that path. It's up to the alcoholic to hit their bottom and want to seek help. I still struggle with this - the urge to help is strong but I know that whatever I say or do falls on deaf ears until he is ready.

As others have said, it's time to focus on you and you alone. Come here often, read the stickies at the top of the page, read Co-Dependent No More and try Al-Anon. Al-Anon saved my sanity at a time when that was in question - the people there have been where you are and it was a great relief to know I wasn't alone in my struggle.

Keep posting, keep coming back, knowing you're not alone and that we all are here for each other.