View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newnormal4me

How do I respond to this?

Or should I even attempt to...

AH has told me that everytime I go to a meeting or check in with someone that has been down the addiction road (either RA or RCodie), etc. that I "seem to get worse". I know he is negatively reacting to my changing attitude, which I know is a better attitude, but obviously is not of immediate or actual benefit to the addict in one's life. What do you even say to something like this?

I simply told him as a codependent not in recovery I tolerate and absorb far more than I ever should...that I make bad decisions about my life and reactions to his substance abuse. However, I am learning that what he does is not okay, and my reaction to it has not been okay! And in working on my issues, it changes my reactions and makes it "seem" that I don't care.

I know...talking to an active addict is like talking to brick wall at times...I guess part of accepting I am "powerless" is letting these questions and comments from him roll off my back, right?

Geez, I'm proving I'm not through step one yet, LOL! Ugh...how on earth do I move forward and on to the next stuff!!!