Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

N&D, you bring up an important point: when I was working on my recovery, I had to distance myself from some people and some friends. I was moving forward, learning recovery concepts, practicing new boundaries and behaviors, pulling out new tools to deal with life challenges. I shed some old behaviors that I learned were unhealthy for me.

I also found myself with little patience with people who constantly complained about their situations but seemed unwilling to make changes to be "unstuck". I had to not be around them for awhile. To be honest, some friendships & relationships endured and some ended, but ultimately I had to do what was best and healthiest for me. I changed the steps to the dance, and some people just couldn't deal with the new me!

After I had more recovery time and tools under my belt, I was able to spend some time with some of those people again. If I needed to change the subject, I could do it. I could listen and make comments like "wow. Huh. You don't say? How about that!" and not give advice where it wasn't mine to give. (instead of saving the universe which was my former full time job apparently)

It's a process, and sometimes it gets a little bumpy. Again, it's good to have other recovery friends to talk to about these things.

I'm so glad you're here and working on the steps with us!