Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

For me, a sponsor was a very important part of my work and my recovery. We saw each other at meetings, talked weekly on the phone and also had somewhat regular coffee dates -just the 2 of us to talk about what was going on. For me, my sponsor was a life line and an accountability partner. She also became a dear friend.

As for saying YES when I mean NO - I realized how wishy washy I was... how afraid I was to make a decision and therefore I never said what I meant. I often said yes when I meant no, and then I had a big fat resentment when I "had" to do something I didn't want or need to do. I felt as though someone had made me do it, or I couldn't say no, what would they think, blah blah blah.

After I started working this step, this was something I made a firm commitment to change. I learned I didn't have to make an instant decision - I could say "Can I get back to you on that?" which gave me time to think about if I really wanted to do something or not. I learned to run things past a check list:

Do I want to do it?
What is my motive or desired outcome? Am I trying to manipulate someone or something? Am I trying to force a solution?
Am I doing something for someone that he could/should be doing for himself?

etc.

At first it was awkward and felt complicated.... now I can make my decisions quicker and from a healthier place. I pretty much do what I need to do, most of what I want to do and hardly anything I don't want to do.

My best lesson? "NO is a complete sentence."