View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eight Ball

Unfortunately alcholism runs deep within families. My AH and I have not spoken to his mum (my MIL) for 19 years and it has been very peaceful. My FIL was an alcoholic and my MIL had been living in that toxic environment for many years without getting help for herself. She has never recognised her own bad behaviours over the years that we were still in touch, and my MIL's own toxic behaviours were too much for us to deal with and we went our seperate ways. Best descision we ever made.

To be honest, I wouldnt stress out too much about not having MIL and SIL in your life, they are obviously not 'good' people to be around and worth having in your life.

Too often we keep so called 'family' in our lives who are untrustworthy, bitter etc because they are 'family' - try making some new friends who are 'good' people to be around. I am slowly getting a nice 'new' circle of friends by attending Al-anon and an acappella singing group. Get yourself out there and try new things and put your ex and you ex's family far behind you.