Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
joey8262

Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
that is an interesting one! I always hear Dr Phil refering to it as a chronic illness. I seem to feel it also may be due to phychological problems, especially when my AH is drunk, he is always going on about bad memories! He has had a rough childhood as well, but A is also genetic, his M was also an alkie, although she has been sober many years now after treatment. Maybe us being codies is also an illness as we do this for protection, i feel. It must be so hard for the person who is an A, who so desperately wants to stop, but, they just cant! May HP grant them and us mercy and peace...
i can relate with that one starburst-my parents were always drinkers-holding weekly parties etc-just socially-not bingeing etc, i remember finding a can of beer as a child and thinking-well if they can drink it so can i-the next thing i knew i was in the local childrens' hospital having my stomach pumped-i know its not the same but i believe it can be genetic-the difference in my parents when they had a drink, they were happier etc, they have both stopped now completely after 30yrs+ -addiction or sickness or genetic ? that's the million dollar question-i guess the answer will never be the same for any 2 people-some people use to fill a void, some to make them happy, or some just because they think they HAVE to drink to fit in-like a drug addict-same situation, just different levels of addiction-ive never tried prescription drugs-but boy have i hammer the alcohol-it's only now i realise i don't need it in my life can i step outside the box and look in-it wasnt addiction with me, like it wasnt with my parents, it was just a gap that needed filling-but i know of people who would willingly kill for a drink-and those who hit a downer when the barrel has run dry so to speak, thats where i think the addiction creeps in-it's crazy but it's different causes for different people.

just my opinion.

joey.