View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

We read from the One Day at a Time in Al-Anon book tonight, the May 14 reading about submission vs. surrender in admitting we are powerless.

One Day at a Time in Al-Anon 5/14

A long-time friend of AA, Dr. Harry M. Tiebout, clarified brilliantly the difference between submission and the surrender idea which is implied in Step One of the Twelve Steps.

“In submission,” he said, “an individual accepts reality consciously but not unconsciously. He accepts as a practical fact that he cannot at the moment conquer reality, but lurking in his unconscious is the feeling: “there’ll come a day…” this is no real acceptance; the struggle is still going on. With this temporary yielding, tension continues. But when the ability to accept functions on the unconscious level as surrender, there is no residual battle; there is relaxation and freedom from strain and conflict.”

Today’s Reminder

Al-Anon tells me that complete acceptance of my powerlessness to change the alcoholic can, indeed, create a new life for me. When I really let go and stop playing God, things will begin to happen. Because at that point, my Higher Power has an opportunity to correct what seemed to me so hopeless.

“Acceptance appears to be a state of mind in which the individual accepts, rather than rejects or resists; he is able to take things in, to go along with, to cooperate and be receptive.” (Dr. Harry M. Tiebout)

=====

Good stuff! Thanks for the reminder to go to the books