View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
tormentedmirror
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
If I got a " do over" I would not have taken my daughter back in after being at rehab for months. She was back out there within hours and the cycle began again.

It took time for me to understand that I was powerless over her and her choices and that I was not her only option.

A sober home will require your daughter to become employed and start taking responsibility for herself as a condition of remaining in the house. If she instead chooses drugs, she becomes homeless. It's important to remember that it is your daughter's choices, not you, that determine the consequences.

The rehab can likely work with your daughter to locate a sober house, once it is understood that coming home is not negotiable, provided you are ready to impose your own boundaries and let go of the outcomes.

She does have a job. She is very fortunate in that she was the one to admit that she needed help, she self reported at work, and is now on short term disability. She actually has a very good job, with excellent benefits. She has also admitted herself for an extra month in rehab, and appears to be taking this all very seriously and responsibly. She has never stolen from us, or exhibited violent behavior toward us. I think that perhaps this was caught before it got terribly out of control. That's not to say that I think we have the ideal circumstances for recovery. I have no way of knowing that, and I now that relapse is just one drink/one pill/one whatever away. What I am seeing is that things have consistently improved since she has been in rehab and I have no reason at this point to kick her to the curb. She knows she has a lot at risk.