View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

The word "powerless" bothers me. Not that I disagree that I'm powerless, but that I'll allow it to become apathy.[/QUOTE]

I struggled with that a lot early in my recovery as well. My sponsor helped me to understand the difference between "powerless" and "helpless". If I looked at being powerless over everything, I questioned the need to bother to get out of bed in the morning! She directed me (more than once) to this reading in Courage to Change:

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 10/16

When I am trying to tackle a tough problem or cope with a stressful situation, and I’ve done all I can for the moment, what then? I can do something that will nurture my mind, body or spirit. Perhaps I’ll take a walk or listen to music. Maybe I’ll meet a friend for coffee and conversation. I could have something nutritious to eat, or sit quietly and meditate, or read a book.

Al Anon is a program of action in which we recognize that we have choices about what we do with our time. A bubble bath, a massage, an Al Anon call, a bike ride, or a nap might be constructive ways to fill time that might otherwise be wasted on worry.

Even though I may be powerless to change my circumstances, I certainly am not helpless. I can use my time to do something good for myself. When I treat myself with love and tenderness, I am better able to deal with the challenges that life presents. I have a chance to feel good, even when surrounded by crisis.

Today’s Reminder:

One of my primary responsibilities is to take care of myself. I will find a small way to do something for my mind, body, and spirit today.

“… part of my recovery is respecting my need and my right to let go and relax.”—In All Our Affairs

Smart woman, that Judy....