View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LadyLuck

Exclamation Please Help - Need Urgent Advice

Hello,

My dear friend has sunken deeper and deeper into addiction and depression over the last few months and now things have come to a head - she doesn't care whether she lives or dies or to put in any effort into getting her life together. She's on prescription pills in the form of benzos that I know of, along with barbituate migraine pills which she has admitted to abusing in the past, possibly Ambien which she has abused in the past and possibly cocaine (has a history of heavy use) and alcohol. She admitted to a major cocaine problem a couple of years ago which stopped at one point though not sure if it is back in the picture. She also admitted to snorting heroin in the past "just to try it".

Since losing her job last Spring, I've watched her turn into a bleak shell of her former self - deeply depressed, unmotivated, indifferent, insecure, insensitive, self-centered and completely passive in her view of life. She doesn't have an immediate need to work since she owns her apartment and has some inheritance.

The past few weeks have gotten really bad in terms of her mental state and ability to function and she's exhibiting paranoid / psychotic behaviors (she sent me an email that was out of left field asking why I had dumped her as a friend after we had spoken just a week before and had a very friendly, warm and upbeat conversation). She sleeps most of the day and then when she gets up, agonizes over how terrible her life is, gets high on pills (and possibly the other aforementioned) and then goes back to sleep. Repeat cycle. This insanity has been going on for months.

I stopped by her apartment to surprise her a several weeks ago and I was beyond horrified at the state that I found her in. Upon opening the door, I saw that she hadn't showered in days. Her apartment smelled dank and dirty. There was litter from her and her dog all over the floo (she stopped going outside and so her dog was going to the bathroom on wee wee pads in her tiny apartment)r. She had scabs/sores on her face, arms and legs and was completely pale. Two things worse of all - she could barely speak correctly and was slurring her words and, though already very very thin, looked like she hadn't eaten in over a week. Whenever I think about that afternoon, I am sickened and want to kick myself for not taking her to the emergency room (or put her dog in protective services).

I reached out to her family immediately after finding her in the above state (parent and a sibling who both live overseas) and despite initial concern and the parent speaking to her about coming to stay, NOTHING happened. My friend then went away on vacation to get away, came back sounding upbeat and now is back in the sh*t and possibly worst off than before. She sent me that totally nutty email a few days ago and I'm of the opinion that she needs professional help at this point - both to detox and learn some life skills.

Another friend and I can't stand to watch as she wastes her life away and are planning on talking to her tomorrow evening in person and encouraging her to get help. Past efforts to get her to get her life together have been answered with a passive, "yeah... I know <crickets>".

What do we do? How do we push rehab and get her to go? Can you please recommend a place that focuses on both rehabilitation and adaptive life skills? We are in New York City, so anything local would be a plus. Additionally, Buddhism appeals to her very much and a place that incorporates holistic healing / yoga might make going to rehab seem more appealing.

We are out of options and pained at having to watch her progressive decline.

Thank you for your advice,
~LadyLuck