View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
luckedog

How do yoy deal with STRESS?

In a series of books I have read lately, on maintaining a lasting sobriety, the issue of stress has been mentioned as a leading “trigger” for relapsing. Actually not so much the “stress” as it is how we deal with those stressful situations. I have been working on a list of things that cause me stress. I have also been working on how to best deal with those times instead of turning to alcohol as a relief valve. A few of the things on my list are; 1) High demands at my work 2) High expectations others place on me 3) High expectations I place on myself and on my time 4)Conflicts I face with others( I much prefer peace and tranquility) 5) inability to control situations. Just to name a few.
I wear many “hats” in the community in which I live. I am on the city council, an officer on the local fire department, and a local business owner, just to name a few. I also am the primary care giver to my mother 86 and my dad who is 87, both of which are not in the best of health.
Sorry to ramble on about ME. The point is, I know we all face stress stressful things on a daily basis. I am asking how you deal with those stressful times without wanting to run and hide. Any helpful ideas will be gladly received I just know I CAN”T turn back to alcohol. Thanks!!