View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Big Book study vs 12 & 12 study

I just wanted to share some thoughts, ideas and opinions on this. I'd like to hear yours also.

There seems to be more Big Book study meetings than twelve steps and twelve tradition meetings. Although I'm actually going to a meeting where they read the 12 & 12 every week and following the steps in order.

The 12 & 12 meeting is small and is getting stale. There just doesn't seem to be as much interest in the 12 & 12 as there is in the Big Book. I've been to a few Big Book studies and the attendance and interest is higher, therefore making it a better meeting.

I've been thinking about suggesting to the 12 & 12 group to make a switch to the Big Book. Before I do this I would first like to have a plan on how to run a Big Book study.

One benefit of the 12 & 12 meeting is it's easy to follow. You simply just read a chapter on the step and follow the steps in order. The Big Book isn't written that way so it's more than just focusing on one step at a time for every meeting. And it would take too long to read one chapter at a time.

If I had to guess it would probably be best to start with the preface and read to page 164, then start back to the preface. That would also probably mean to stop reading in the middle of a chapter. But I'm still not sure on what is the best sequence and organization on how to run a Big Book study. Any suggestions?