View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HealingWillCome

I've been working this exercise for a couple of months now. It was WEIRD the first time I did it. I felt pretty foolish. But I stuck with it because I wanted to see if it could work for me...it took quite a few attempts.

She (the author) suggests writing out the dialogue, but that slowed me down. Couldn't do it. I had to have the dialogue out loud while no one was around, or I found a quiet place and had the conversation in my head with my eyes closed.

My Little was feeling really, really weak the first few times, so I let her sit with God right next to her, or she was sitting on his lap. That really helped, because I was also working on reminding myself that God will never abandon me.

It also helped me to put my favorite dress on from when I was 4 and picture myself with pudgy little cheeks and the bobbed haircut that my mom always gave me. Maybe you had a favorite stuffed animal or toy from then....I don't know...just ideas....

As for adult me, that was also hard because I was feeling so weak. I had to pick a time when I was at my best in my adult life, and picture myself then...feeling strong, confident, loved, smart...you get the idea.

So...once I practiced it a few times, I found Little started to make herself heard. She was TICKED at Big me for doing things like breaking no contact, yelling at my kids when I was angry over my situation with XABF, procrastinating over important stuff because I was wallowing in my pity...and the list goes on.

It was WEIRD to have Big me tell Little me, "okay, I'm going to take better care of you and not get you into these situations anymore," but it started working. I started really thinking twice before I did things that would upset Little. So weird, but it worked.

I'm not very good at remembering to do it every day, but I'm also not feeling the intense pain I was at the time.

It did end up helping me, but I had to really stick with it.