Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

a good friend was in town last week, he came to see me.
I've not seen him in years because he became out of control. (drugs, drinking and cheating on his wife and kids).
Morally, I was cleaning up my life and he had to go

I thought about him so much in the last few months and 2 months ago, he just showed up at my work. I had to see him because he is now a supplier of my company.
I knew something was different.
We went out to dinner last week and spent 5 yrs talking.
His wife left him 18 months ago, took his kids and he's not seen them since. He tried to OD on rx meds and was in the hosp for 3 weeks close to death.
A nurse told him to find Jesus (I'm not religious by the way), so he went to church and found a shop near his home that sells spiritual things. The women who run the store started to talk/counsel him.
He went to a mass where the priest blessed everyone, one by one and this priest touched my friends hands and my friend fell to the ground and lost awareness for 5 secs. He got up from the floor and he was stunned. (this guy was a wealthy biker type who didn't believe in any God) and said to the priest "What just happened"
The priest replied "You've just been blessed by the holy ghost"
I got chills....

He stopped all drugs and can have wine only once and a while now.
Will this last? Maybe, as long as he continues in church (his AA).

Moral of my story, I'm not sure I believe addictions are a disease per say, but more a breakdown of the ego and soul. Two HUGE factors to balance out.
I think if the soul/spirit is balanced, there is no reason to live in excess.
Of course, this is just a theory but it worked for my friend.

I used to tell my ex he could get to the point of one drink, but he never felt he could. And I believe that, I think had he found his spirit, he could have, But it's rare when people reach zen like this, but possible