View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
silkspin

I've posted on a similar active thread called 'how much or how little to say'.

Seekingcalm says it best for where I am right now, which is not communicating about my position and not asking about his: I was tired of his 'talk' which I felt was trying to 'sell' me on something. I'm done buying what he's selling; because in the past once he was rid of it, he was free to go shopping while I was left holding his crap. So now his hands are full with his own recovery and I ain't leaving any room for him to offload.

This attitude has taken me a lot of time, and work in Al Anon. I don't feel the need to inquire about his recovery efforts, nor do I feel particularly inclined to share mine. I have retreated slightly to try and heal and figure myself out, and I want all of that energy and don't want to give him any - since I've already given him way too much. Some members here helped me to see that sometimes enough (and everything) has already been said, and no more needs to be. I think it was the codie in me that thought I need to be right in there with him and he needs to know my position every step of the way...and I no longer think that's true. My sponsor shared her opinion that it is good to let someone know where they stand with you, but not if you're angry and still working out how you feel. Instead of giving in to the urge to tell him how you feel - take that time to tell yourself how you feel and work through. It may just change your perspective.