Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mmccoy

Yes, Naive, he does have set times. Set times, which I have actually let HIM decide so he can't say I'm making an unreasonable day/time for him. He doesn't have a steady job (works random jobs on craigslist or whatever) and who knows where he is living. I've been with him for 9 years so I'm completely done trying to do what's best for him. What I have a hard time deciding is would it be better for her to be completely away from him and when she is of an age where she can make up her own mind if she'd like to try connecting with him (and this is assuming he doesn't clean up and straighten up sooner than that) by all means I would support her and support her even further regardless of the outcome. Or, is it better to continue this pathetic relationship and let her just find out on her own the disappointment that will surely result. It seems everyone I know that comes from a childhood with an alcoholic parent, has such a hateful feeling about the parent even now. So I guess I was just wanting insight from others as I'm torn which is the better of the two horrible options. Yes, my daughter does like talking to him but at 2 she can't fully understand that he was supposed to call and didn't...but at say 4 she will and by then she will have more of a relationship (whether good or bad) and more of an understanding of what's going on.