View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheStretchMan

Originally Posted by Carol Star View Post
There isn't alot you can do unless they want help. You can go to Alanon. You can let the consequences happen so they hopefully will reach bottom and want help. Don't rescue....that just enables them to stay sick. You can learn and live the 12 steps. You can let go and let God. You can vent on SR.
My family is going to rescue him right now, which is going to enable him to drink even further. I thought he hit rock bottom after smashing his head on the kitchen floor and trashing the house while inebriated. His wife cannot deal with his antics anymore, yet they are hopelessly codependent.

His son will actually drink wine with him, and assume that there isn't anything "wrong" with it. I feel powerless

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Hi and welcome to the family!

I'm sorry about your family member's choices.
You will find information and support for yourself here. This is a link to one of our permanent (sticky) posts. It contains steps that have helped some of us when dealing with a loved ones addiction:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Thank you so much, I feel like I need some recovery from his behavior. The sarcasm and bickering attitudes that pervade my family are also a driving force behind his alcoholism. He is also very resistant to seeing a doctor for his severe memory impairment and dementia. Yet he continues to drink.