View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
tormentedmirror
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
I just miss him. Of course I'm glad he's getting help. I encouraged it because I care about him so much; I want him to be healthy. It just all happened so quickly I got caught off guard. I was so busy finding him a place to go and rearranging things for his absence (we have a 3yr old and I'm in school full-time and have a part-time job) I never once thought about how I would feel. I was just so happy he came to this decision on his own I didn't want to do or say anything to make him change his mind. (This is a long time coming) So when it was all final and then I was alone, I freaked! I just thought this would be a place where I could say the things I don't want to say to him and not be judged. (How wrong was I!) I know he needs to focus on getting better and saying those things to him wouldn't help (LIKE I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST)

I was addicted to cocaine for three years so, YES I have walked a mile in his shoes, more than ONCE! And YES I want to know what my part is in the healing process which is another reason I was so upset; because I was given no information on what to expect, what I should know, what I should do, etc. I honestly thought I would be more included/informed about his healing process. We have a great relationship so realizing I would not be a part of his recovery or be able to do whatever he needs to get better just really hit me hard when I got home. I do feel guilty and selfish and horrible for feeling like this (LIKE I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST) So I was floored when I was attacked in a "support" forum. You say I shouldn't be surprised if I act a certain way and then get called on it, but I really thought I made it clear that these were feelings I was only expressing here; maybe I wasn't. I don't want to do anything to make this harder on him than it already is, he is really truly brave for seeking help. I just love him so much it hurts my heart to be away from him for whatever reason. I just miss him and wanted to get that all out in a safe place (which I thought this was).
Our daughter signed a form at the treatment center that permits the counselors to communicate about the patient. I don't know if all facilities do that, but it's something you can find out. I'm sure we don't hear everything, but it's nice to be able to pick up the phone and call, or drop an email when we have a question. Call his facility.

I shouldn't have been so harsh, and I apologize. Please don't leave the forum.