Thread: What do I do?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

bandaide,

Welcome to Sober Recovery! This is a great site, and as you've already seen, folks come here to share their wisdom, and offer support.

You are a smart young cookie. You have already taken the first two, difficult steps: Awareness and Decision.

There are several more, and sometimes you may feel that you are taking one forward on then one back. NORMAL. This is tough, tough stuff.

I think a candid, short, conversation with him will continue the process, be respectful and help to reveal where you need to go next.

I would, however, suggest dropping any statements that sound like either an ultimatum, or the promise of a return to the relationship should he get sober. This sets you up for further heartache and it's not really what you role should be. You can think this in your own mind, and if he asks "well what if I stopped drinking altogether?" you can give an honest answer. But he is in the driver's seat of his life and he needs to make that decision FOR HIMSELF and not be coerced into it. In my experience, that rarely works long-term, so...again...setting yourself up for huge disappointment.

Peace to you, and keep coming back.