Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
praiseHim

Husband promises to quit, but wants to have a choice?

My husband tells me that he is willing to quit at home entirely, but wants to have a choice if he is out somewhere to have a drink. He has not been a bar goer ever, but is talking about weddings (which are rare), after work or with a friend (which he doesn't hang out much around anyways and his friend doesn't drink). I told him I won't settle for coming back for that (we are seperated) because he has a history of lying and covering up his drinking and saying that he would cut back before. I want him to quit entirely for him and the health of our family and get help with issues, not just be a quit for the sake of quitting, but healing and learning new skills. told him it is his choice if he wants to quit or not, but it is my choice to return home or not and knowing what I can live with. Over the last 2 years he has cut back from 6-11 beers a night to 6-7 beers 4-5 times a week. He is cut back to 3 days a week and 4-6 beers a night now. I told him if he really wanted to quit on his own that he would've made the choice already or not and if he is just going to "cut back" for me and not do it for himself and not quit that I can't live with that anymore. 2 counselors have told him that he needs to "watch it" and that he has an alcohol abuse problem. So he sees me as the one having a problem with his alcohol and that even professionals are telling him it is fine in moderation.