View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Joslyn

You are an eye opener - you all are...

I must be the ideal codependent, because I do a great job bossing people around, even at work lol. At least I do it constructively at work,, while providing advice blah blah. I have come to realize that I try to control not only my AH, but my teenage daughter that is careening into a negative grade point average. I think my codependent behavior has reeked havoc on her as well. My sister struggled with cancer this year (a second time but she is doing well), this stress along with my daughter's failing grades put me in a spiral, of constant struggles with my daughter to get better grades. I think I'm learning something here that not only my AH has to get his OWN life together, that my daughter needs to take it upon herself to do better in school, without my checking her grades and constant battles to get her homework done. I have found a new calm during the day as the weekend went ok. My AH hasn't seen my calm take control (he's seen my take control but usually it's when I'm in drill sargeant mode), so I don't think he knows what to think of it. Today, I focused on getting my son to his first day of fifth grade. NO I didn't get mad at my AH that he was still sleeping on the couch and finally got up to say goodbye to our son. My old codependent self would have been knocking stuff around and slamming cabinets in my passive aggressive way to get him to help me, but I took it upon myself that this is MY responsibility to get my son to school and we had a great morning. I'm taking it one day at a time, and I have found that my worst time to sleep is 2-6 (eyes wide open!), but I was able to manage only being awake from 3-4 and was able to go back to sleep because I wasn't obsessing about what my AH "might" do to get help today. That's his problem not mine. Chapter 3 of Codependent No More. Am I on the right track? AND THANK YOU TO YOU ALL you are a God send to me.