Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bookwyrm
Curled up in a good book...

Welcome. I'm so glad you found us (but sorry you're in your situation) this forum has helped me so much. I hope you get the same strength and support here that I have. I wanted to quote a few bit of your post that I recognised in me!

Originally Posted by waiting313 View Post
...I am relationship-driven. But I knew all of this going into it, and have always been a care-taker, and I have always been willing to give more than the other person (sometimes to my demise).

I wanted to continue to support him through complete recovery and help him in any way I could (without enabling any type of drinking).

This week he decided that I have taken too good of care of him...I support him in being a better person.

I feel like I want to support him, and feel like I am failing when I am not talking to him.
Please, don't be offended, but you sound like a classic codependent to me! Have a read through the sticky posts at the top of the forum. I'd also recommend reading 'Co Dependent No More' by Melody Beattie. It really opened my eyes to my enabling behaviour!

The very best technique to help YOU and support YOU through this break up would be going No Contact. It has 'saved' me and may others here on this board. It helped me get back to reality and look at what is rather than the fantasy I was living in. You really need to shitf your focus onto YOU. Why do you cling on to relationships longer than you should? Why aren't you more career driven? Why don't you have relationships where you both give and take equally? Why do you think someone who has consistenty lied to you for the past 3 years is your best friend?

Al Anon may well help you. I received counsellnig after my break up that really helped me. You are not alone in this.

The forum is usually quiet at the weekend - no doubt more people will be along to welcome you soon!